Bishop’s Palace


dove è situato

Via G. Carducci, 48


The structure cannot be visited


Palazzo Mazzetti , Solaro Tower , Palazzo Falletti di Montersino , Trojan Tower

Medieval building

Seat of the bishopric since the 15th century

The Ancient Fortified House

Since the beginning of the 15th century, the palace has been the residence of the Bishop and the seat of the diocesan Curia.
The building was traditionally referred to the fortified house of the Bunei family, but today it is correctly assigned to a family of wealthy merchants, little known also because it was soon extinct: The Macalufo family.
The palace was bought by bishop Alberto Guttuari in 1412.
Built between two towers, the building complex is aesthetically characterized by the predominance of exposed brick. Although it has undergone numerous transformations and restorations over the centuries, medieval traces of the ancient structure remain today: The arched profiles of what must have been large mullioned windows and three-mullioned windows; single-lancet windows decorated in cotto and sandstone; the entrance arch with four brick rings outside the tower.