The only tower that can be visited in the city
44 meters of height
Probably built by the Cortesi family between the end of the 12th and the beginning of the 13th century, in 1250 it became the property of the Troia family, who demolished the adjoining Cortesi palace to build their new prestigious home.
However, they decided to keep the tower and raised it by three floors, marked by stone stringcourses and elegant mullioned windows. Torre Troiana (Trojan Tower) was completed in the second half of the 13th century, with the addition of the triple crowning with hanging arches and the Ghibelline battlements.
At the end of the 14th century, the palace and the Troia tower were incorporated into the state property complex of Palazzo Ducale. The latter, in 1420, was granted in use to the Municipality, which had the public bell installed on the tower. Since then, Torre Troiana (Trojan Tower), while still remaining state property for a long time, was constantly in use by the Municipality, which acquired its possession in the modern age.
The tower, restored between 1997 and 1999, has a square base with a side of 5.90 m on the outside and 3.30 on the inside; it is 36.6 m high at the level of the battlements and 44 at the top of the lantern. Civic tower and symbol of the Asti Middle Ages, it is also an extraordinary panoramic point over the city.